Before a treatment plan can be established, a thorough diagnostic evaluation is essential. The evaluation consists of a two-hour parent interview, followed by a one-hour child interview. As part of this diagnostic evaluation, you may be asked to share relevant prior records and to complete behavior rating scales. After the parent and child interviews, there is a one-hour feedback session, during which impressions and recommendations for treatment are provided. Treatment goals, frequency and duration are identified collaboratively.
The most commonly used evidence-based approaches for the treatment of psychological symptoms involve cognitive and behavior therapies. The efficacy of cognitive behavioral therapy has been demonstrated for a wide-range of symptoms in adults, adolescents, and children. Most evidence-based treatments have been studied in several large-scale clinical trials, involving thousands of patients and careful comparison of the effects of evidence-based treatments versus other types of psychological treatments. Dozens of multi-year studies have shown that evidence-based treatments can significantly reduce symptoms for many years following the end of psychological treatment. Other types of psychological therapies do not have similar evidence of efficacy to date.
Below is a list of evidence-based treatments and therapies which this practice routinely administers:
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Exposure Plus Response Prevention (E/RP)
- Transdiagnostic CBT and mindfulness and acceptance-based treatments
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Rational Emotive Therapy (REBT)
- Parent Training
- Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT)
- Parent Management Training (PMT)
- Positive Parenting Program (Triple P)
- The Incredible Years
- School Consultation
- Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA)
- Evidence-Based School Behavior Assessment of Externalizing Behavior (REDSCOS)
- DBT Skills in Schools
- Teacher-Child Interaction Training (TCIT)
- Behavior and Support Plan Development and Implementation
- Providing training and consultation services to administrators, teachers, and students.
A course of treatment is developed following the diagnostic evaluation and one or more of the above-listed therapies may be applied, as well as other techniques based on the clinician’s judgment and experience.
Training and Supervision in CBT for Psychiatrists and Psychologists
Our trainings focus on principles of effective therapy. Just as importantly, they provide practice so that providers sharpen clinical skills, not just academic understanding. Training is available for practicing psychologists and psychiatrists, as well as students. Supervision in evidence based protocols is offered to qualified candidates.
Consultation for Pediatricians, Psychiatric Hospital and Residential Settings
This practice is uniquely positioned to provide custom training services for mental health agencies, hospitals, correctional systems, medical clinics, and others. Consultation services are developed based on the relevant program’s specific goals and patient population.